Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Taking It In

We just found out that our oldest son Gavin is allergic to pretty much everything. We knew he had food allergies when we has 18 months old, found out he asthma when he was 3 and through a process of events found out yesterday he is allergic to 31 out of 38 common food allergies and 45 out of 58 environmental allergies.

Our hearts are broken for our big guy. Sure it will be an adjustment for our diet (imagine not eating chicken, beef, pork, fish, bread, milk, eggs, even apples and so much more) but I just hate it for him. He has always been embarrassed and anxious about his food allergies. You see his food allergies cause his skin to become irritated, itchy, and dry around his eyes, face, arms, legs, feet, and back. He scratches all the time and consequently his skin looks like patchwork. He is so self-conscious of it he wears pants when people come over and doesn't like to take his socks off because he sees the sores. I wonder how much more he will worry with the addition of so many more known allergies.

God is answering our prayers through my wife being a clinical dietitian and know that we know the facts we are able to start an action plan. But it still hurts me to know my boy is dealing with all of this.

My kids have always been relatively healthy and I know so many parents who have children who are so much worse off than my son. I'm experiencing a glimpse of the anguish they feel and I absolutely hate the feeling.

God, you are the God of comfort and you comfort those who are hurting. Help me to receive your comfort through your Spirit, your Word, and your people.

No comments:

Post a Comment