Monday, April 11, 2011

My Legacy

Yep, it's been a while.  No excuses...just lazy.

I grew up in a single parent home.  My mother was an incredible lady who did well to care for and keep up with three kids.  Her willingness to sacrifice her need for the needs of her children is something that I'll never forget and hope to implement as I parent my own.  Growing up spiritual things were not that important.  Sundays were spent going out to brunch and Easter always included a picnic but not much was said about God, the Bible, or church.


Yesterday, I got the great privilege of baptizing my oldest son Gavin.  Words can really put into perspective how I felt yesterday seeing my son follow Christ in obedience through baptism. He received Christ almost over 2 years ago, but I wanted him in his time and his way choose baptism.  I wanted him, without the pressure of the preacher dad, to follow Christ on his terms.  I have been praying about this moment for many years (since before he was born) and to see it fulfilled was absolutely amazing.

I was standing in worship following his baptism and was overwhelmed with emotion.  The same God that am growing to love and serve my son is knowing growing to love and serve.  I am seeing my legacy of faith being lived out in my family.  As I was holding my wife's hand and as our kids were next to us in worship, I began to think back to my childhood...a scrawny boy on a bike roaming my neighborhood with no direction or real influence...and 25 years later I've gained an eternal perspective, I'm serving God, and my family is worshiping together having just baptized my oldest son.  There have been moments in my life where I have felt so complete and yesterday was one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment